Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Authority for Women, Part 4

Huldah proves I don't need to be a lot of things in order to serve Christ.  Gender ought to be irrelevant, as should probably a lot of factors such as a seminary degree.

Part of me wants to cry, if God gives authority to do that which He calls us to do, what are we waiting for?  And yet at the same time I'm contradictory, I'm desperate to warn that it's not that simple.

I have had people tell me I care far too much about what people think who don't understand what God has called me to do.  They are usually those who've discovered that authority and power come directly from God Himself.  They're outside the usual church structures doing what they love, speaking back to me in limbo land.  They don't like me.  They're frustrated that I don't just keep it simple and obey Jesus.  They don't get why I stay.

I have had people tell me I care far too little about what leadership believes is important.  The way this is verbally expressed in church culture (not specific to my life) is "Well you may be called to do that, but I don't know if you can do that here."  So their best recommendation is to skip around churches in town, looking for a backer.  Yes, that obtains unity and peace for God's people.  But the ends do not justify the means (unfaithfulness).

Nobody likes me because I don't accept either of those.  It is absolutely wise not to ruffle feathers of godly men and women.  And yet it is godly to ruffle Kingdom feathers.

"DISCIPLING UP"

Remember Zacchaeus?  He hung out in the tree, gathering who Jesus was for some time before he had a change in heart.  This is typical discipling, "discipling down."  But leaders need time to take things in, too.  They need to have time to listen and observe.  Overseers of church need "tree-time."  They are no different.

On paper, consider Jesus.  When he healed people, He commanded them to go show themselves to the priest, as prescribed by the laws of Moses.  He commanded others to follow all the laws, be approved to enter society again through the God-ordained channels.  His ultimate passion was blessing the people and blessing the community of God by sending back people made well.  Yes - He told them the truth about God's commands.  However He still had respect for God's leaders.  Many of the leaders rejected Jesus, but not all.  Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea, two temple authorities, eventually joined this Kingdom movement.  His respect bore fruit in the leadership.  We call this "discipling up."

Women are very familiar with another scenario they are often called, to "disciple up."  1 Peter 3:1-2,
Wives, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the Word, they without a word may be won by the conduct of their wives, when they observe your chaste conduct accompanied by fear.
Consider Abigail.  She had a husband who was a fool.  She was accustomed to being sought out by the servants in her household to bridge the gap of her husband's poor choices.  When she heard that David was nearby and in danger, she was quick to bring in true righteousness.  Nobody told her to do what was right; she did it under the authority of God alone.  She went out to meet David.  Did she tell him what to do?  No way!  She bowed in respect and waited to speak.  Even David had lost his head and was making the wrong decision.  And while Abigail saw that and wanted to stop it, she was quiet and submissive as many times as a man decided to take the lead.

Let's evaluate the wisdom of the counsel "you can do that, but you can't do that here."  It teaches us to be unfaithful to our local assembly.  Where would a godly wife be if she didn't remain faithful to an unbelieving husband?  Where would Israel be if Christ put away His inheritance for another nation who would say yes to Him?

This is why I believe that there are scriptures such as "women should be silent at church" and "I do not permit a woman to teach a man or be in authority over a man."  I believe that women are not in authority when a man shows up, ready to lead.  During those moments, a woman's godly response is to respect the leadership and authority given by God to men.  It is part of MY sanctification to remain in unity with the church in which I was born.

But that doesn't mean I'll forget my calling.


No comments: