Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Year's Recap of Downtown Meet Up

One year ago I was meeting my street friend at Starbucks, and I thought it was just a conversation between herself and I.  But the people around us joined in our conversation agreeing, "Yeah, we should follow Jesus."  I realized here was a community of people!  Immediately I asked them what they thought it would look like for God's Kingdom to be manifest on the street.  A year later, this is still our formative question when we visit.

Janet, wife to John, the facilitator for the Perspectives course, came soon after with me downtown and we have become ministry partners.  There is no way I could have done this without her.  We hold one another accountable to carrying out the missionary principles we've learned in that course.

This community of people on the street are a mix of religions and backgrounds, but they all show up to take care of those in need.  When someone is thirsty, they buy a drink.  When someone is hungry, they've brought cookies.  When someone doesn't have what they need for homeless living, they find a way to help them out.  They help them fill out job resumes and refer them to people who are hiring in Salem.  All of this Good Samaritan work was already happening... what was missing was a sense of authority in Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit to transform souls.

I queried if they believed that we have the opportunity to be the church not only in a building, but here in real life.  Our daily lives now count.  The gospel speaks to every situation.  We are learning together how to proclaim the gospel to one another's lives.

Last Thanksgiving our group decided we would put on a meal for ourselves and a few of our guests. We held it at Salem First Baptist Church in the CLC Cafe which faces the Skate Park. Unfortunately, word got out at the UGM and there was a line outside the door! Somehow we fed 60 people that day, when we had only planned to provide for 30!

During that meal I came across an old friend from when I took the Foundations course with Pastor Greg. I remembered his name instantly! After getting saved and coming to our church, he ended up homeless because his criminal record made him difficult to hire.  We were so glad to see one another again!

We have experienced two supernatural healings this year.  One was a friend who went in for symptoms of pancreatitis, but as he was having tests done, his condition cleared up as we were praying.  Another was with a friend who has stage 4 COPD.  He also has a series of other chronic concerns.  All of his chronic conditions except one were completely resolved (he still remains slightly low thyroid), and his ability to absorb oxygen through his lungs has improved, not worsened!  We have prayed in faith for God to demonstrate His power in physical trials.

We have seen three people surrender their worldliness to Jesus.

A man has admitted over time that he has been coming downtown for seven years to gamble after fighting with his parents.  He grew up Methodist and last week had a new song on his lips.  He changed the words from the hymn, "At the Cross"...

At the cross at the cross
When I first saw the light
And He took all my gambling away
It was there by faith I received my sight
Now I'm happy and joyful everyday

He continues to admit how every time he has the temptation to gamble, he literally imagines how he has laid this temptation at the feet of Jesus and He leaves it there again.

Another 22 year old young man would cry every other time we saw him because he longed to be part of his father's life.  He had been seriously abused by his mother and hasn't seen his father since he was 8.  We prayed and I met separately with him and his girlfriend and proclaimed that God's plan was to reconcile all men unto Himself, and you too must be reconciled to God.  He laid the problem before his Heavenly Father and now consistently admits, "I know that God is going to help me, and I don't feel like I need to call my dad's phone number constantly."

A 22 year old woman has been discipled this last year through two fistfights on the streets.  We have met with her separately and the whole downtown community has taken part in proclaiming the truth to her that our aim is to glorify Jesus, not be known for hosting trouble.  She has seen God work powerfully for her.  She was banned from downtown during our Thanksgiving meal, but we prayed and respected the law.  She called her police officer and asked permission to attend SFB during our meal outreach, and he permitted it!  This meal was so important to her and so was being with her people.  "I just love to walk through the doors of my church," she said of SFB, "I can feel close to God here."  She consistently brings her friends to church services and dinners.


Two men have taken the gospel vibrantly back to their families.  Their grown children and grandchildren have visited our group and brought snacks to help serve the hungry teens that come by.  They've confessed their distance from God.  They are talking about attending church once more, and their God-given dreams that they've put off.  One son went back to Court Street Christian Church and arranged to walk with his daughter through the waters of baptism.

"The bread man."  A year ago we didn't know his name. Like clockwork at 3 pm he stops and honors a member of our group by delivering a slice of great harvest bread. He would never say a word and never stay. One day, he actually stopped and talked! He shared that somehow his bike wasn't stolen, and while he didn't give God the glory, I have a feeling he knows! Now, whenever he stops he gets a hug and I ask, "Do you have any more amazing stories to share?" He reflects, and finds something of blessing in his life... and then walks away.

Janet and I marvel every time we depart.  It's as if our God-radar is on for life, and He is bringing ministry our way no matter how mundane the day might appear!  We are giddy, besides ourselves.  If we were working out of the flesh of good intentions, there is no way people would be coming to Jesus like this!  But Jesus has given even women authority on earth to obey the great commission.

On Thursdays we pray-walk downtown, past the Statesman Journal, the Capitol, the Courthouse, etc.  Janet impresses on me that nothing of His Kingdom happens apart from prayer!  On Tuesdays we meet one hour early so those who have interest in kingdom living can orally become acquainted with the biblical narrative. We have shared communion right on the street. We are raising one potential elder who belongs to this community. There is an energy and excitement. All have asked me what church I go to, and they have spoken deep respect for SFB and our pastors and inquire about our service times. Most importantly, Janet and I are not the only ones passionately following Jesus. Having tasted and seen that the Lord is good, they meet as ministers of the same whether or not she and I are there.

I am learning about bold faith. I am learning not to be discouraged when our group is small or seems to become more ungodly or there are no salvations. I am learning how to proclaim the gospel to all of life.  Ephesians 3:14-21






No comments: